Do you know the dangers of purchasing drugs on the Internet? Please view the FDA INTERNET PHARMACY WARNING Video at this link.
Please read the FDA warning brochure on ordering prescription pet drugs over the internet here.
Click here for More FDA warnings on internet pharmacies
In order to protect your pet from problems with gray market drugs, the FDA recommends: "Ordering from an outsourced prescription management service that your veterinarian uses. These state-licensed Internet pharmacy services work directly with the veterinarian, require that a prescription be written by the veterinarian, and support the veterinarian-client-patient relationship. Ask your veterinary hospital if it uses an Internet pharmacy service."
Deer Run Animal Hospital has an online pharmacy where many medications can be ordered online and delivered directly to your home. Please click on the online pharmacy link to be redirected to our online pharmacy webpage.
Written Prescriptions For Other Outside Pharmacies Will Be Provided At Your Request
At Deer Run Animal Hospital, we take pride in being your pet's family doctor, and see our role as an integral part in providing healthcare to your pet. The primary focus of our practice is centered on offering a professional level of high quality medical care. In addition to these professional services, we do stock numerous forms of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and products for your pets. We also provide an online pharmacy service.
We carry these items in our practice and online primarily for two reasons; (1) Many items are animal specific formulations or for animal only usage - often these products aren't carried locally by traditional brick and mortar pharmacies and (2) there is a convenience in having items readily available onsite rather than sending our clients to another location just to sit and wait for prescriptions to be filled elsewhere. Deer Run Animal Hospital takes measures to ensure the vaccines, medications and products we provide to our patients are properly handled and stored from initial manufacture until they reach our facility. The items we offer from our hospital supply, and through the online pharmacy, are obtained either directly from their manufacturing source or via our relationships with selected major distributors which track these items to verify their integrity. Many other online pharmacies are offering gray market, or diverted products, and the integrity of these products is questionable.
We're fully aware there are many internet sites and catalogue houses which sell pharmaceutical products directly to consumers. Contrary to slick print and television advertising marketing touting pet medications available at less than half the price from the veterinarian, this veterinary office generally offers full-sized packaged medications (Heartgard, Interceptor, Frontline, K9 Advantix, Feline Advantage Multi, Rimadyl, Deramaxx etc.) for similar prices. In fact, we often offer rebates for specific combinations of preventatives purchased and often give bonus doses when 9 months- 1 year of preventative are purchased at one time.
It is our practice policy to provide written prescriptions to our clients at their request. We do not charge a fee for writing prescriptions for our patients. We do, however wish for your decision on where to have your pet's prescription filled to be an informed one, and feel it is part of our responsibility as your pet's doctor to advise you consider the following:
1. We will provide a written prescription on request provided we have recently examined your pet and the particular medication or product is appropriate. The time frame of recent examination is at the doctor's discretion but will never exceed a maximum of one year from your pets last annual examination. The written prescription will be provided directly to you. We DO NOT fax to internet pharmacies.
2. If you choose internet or catalogue sources, we advise you to copy your script and mail them the original. We recommend this process for the same reason we will only provide written prescriptions to you on our script pads and why we do not respond to fax requests or telephone calls from internet or catalogue companies. We require our physical prescription form to be used so it can be traced back and authenticated in the event medication error, failure or reaction occurs.
3. Please double check to ensure your prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly. Carefully select your choice of pharmacy including thoroughly researching for Board of Pharmacy disciplinary actions.
4. Some guarantees made by manufacturers regarding their products are null and void (not honored) if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement for heartworm / intestinal parasite claims if your pet contracts heartworms or specific parasites while on prevention.
5. Some internet based pharmacies and catalogue companies have been repeatedly reprimanded by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedure. Several well known companies have been cited and fined repeatedly for the same violations in the same states or several states!
6. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada) have been illegally diverted and sold through some internet sources and catalogues in the United States. In addition, counterfeit medications, preventatives and product have been produced and sold to unsuspecting consumers. The FDA-CVM has documented these problems with the use of some internet sources. www.fda.gov